Conversations is an open source XMPP/Jabber client for Android 4.0+ smart phones.
вЂў Be as beautiful and easy to use as possible without sacrificing security or privacy
вЂў Rely on existing, well established protocols
вЂў Do not require a Google Account or specifically Google Cloud Messaging (GCM)
вЂў Require as little permissions as possible
вЂў End-to-end encryption with either OTR or openPGP
вЂў Sending and receiving images
вЂў Intuitive UI that follows Android Design guidelines
вЂў Pictures / Avatars for your Contacts
вЂў Syncs with desktop client
вЂў Conferences (with support for bookmarks)
вЂў Address book integration
вЂў Multiple Accounts / unified inbox
вЂў Very low impact on battery life
Conversations works with every XMPP server out there. However XMPP is an extensible protocol. These extensions are standardized as well in so called XEPвЂ™s. Conversations supports a couple of those to make the overall user experience better. There is a chance that your current XMPP server does not support these extensions. Therefore to get the most out of Conversations you should consider either switching to an
XMPP server that does or - even better - run your own XMPP server for you and your friends.
These XEPs are - as of now:
* XEP-0065: SOCKS5 Bytestreams - or rather mod_proxy65. Will be used to tranfer files if both parties are behind a firewall (NAT).
* XEP-0138: Stream Compression saves bandwith
* XEP-0198: Stream Management allows XMPP to survive small network outages and changes of the underlying TCP connection.
* XEP-0280: Message Carbons which automatically syncs the messages you send to your desktop client and thus allows you to switch seamlessly from your mobile client to your desktop client and back within one conversation.
* XEP-0237: Roster Versioning mainly to save bandwidth on poor mobile connections